Tidy Mom

has been moved to new address

http://tidymom.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

November 24, 2008

Grandpa's {Special} Pumpkin Pie



On my mom's side of the family, my Grandpa was the cook! One of the first few years I was married, he shared his secret Pumpkin Pie recipe with me. The two of of us worked on it and tweaked it a bit - the original recipe called for solid pumpkin and you made it into pie filling - but we adapted it, so it can be made with the store bought canned Pumpkin Pie Mix/Filling.

This is not like traditional pumpkin pie, it's layered with Cool Whip, so it is light and fluffy and is kept and served cold.

The recipe makes 2 pies. Every year I make them and take them to my husbands side of the family. There have been years I've made 4 pies, everyone likes it THAT much!! For years there were members on that side of the family that would beg me for the recipe, and I wouldn't give it to them! LOL So don't you feel lucky?! I knew if I gave my recipe out, then they would be making it too, and it would no longer be "the coveted pie at Thanksgiving"

**EDITED to add Pictures!



1 Cup Walnuts

2 Pie Shells

1 envelope Unflavored Gelatin

1/4 Cup cold Water

1 Can Pumpkin Pie Mix

2 T Sugar

1 small can Evaporated Milk

3 Eggs *(you will use 2 yolks, and 3 whites)

1/2 tsp Vanilla

1 container of Cool Whip

Chop walnuts fine. Bake pie shells and cool. (I use the Pillsbury Refrigerator Pie Crust)

Filling: Soften gelatin in water in sauce pan. Stir in Pumpkin Pie Mix, 2 egg yolks and milk. Heat until boiling. Stir constantly. Reduce to low heat stirring constantly for another 5 mins. Remove from heat, add vanilla and cool and chill until thick. (I usually do up to this point the night before, and refrigerate the filling and egg whites overnight- but I would think a few hours would be fine if you want to do it the same day)

Beat 3 egg whites to soft peaks adding 2 Tablespoons of sugar one at a time until still.

Fold into pumpkin mix.

Fold in 3/4 of your walnuts.

Layer: 1/2 of your pumpkin filling into the 2 pie crusts, 1/2 of Cool Whip on top of filling in each crust and spread with spatula, remaining 1/2 of pumpkin filling in each crust, spread with spatula. Dollop several spoonfuls of remaining Cool Whip on top of each pie, then take a knife and swirl them slightly into the filling.

Sprinkle with remaining Walnuts. Chill until ready to serve.

Makes 2 pies

Enjoy!

Be sure to see this post to see how we take them to my sister-in-laws house!

I posted this over at The Inspired Room's Friday Holiday Linky Fun - be sure to go over there and see more great Holiday Ideas!

Stop by Blessed With Grace for more Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.


Stop by I am Blissfully Domestic to join the fun!

I've added this post to Holiday Food Fest - Fall Desserts (November 2009)

post signature


Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

How sweet of you to share! :) I wouldn't have told the family either. :)

Happy Thanksgiving!

11/24/08, 3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How is it I never knew of this? I guess thats what I get for being the youngest.

Mandi

11/24/08, 4:02 PM  
Blogger CozyGirl said...

Yummy ! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Janae :-)

11/24/08, 4:09 PM  
Blogger PAT said...

This sounds delicious! I'm looking forward to seeing a photo of your pumpkin pies, this year!

Happy Thanksgiving!

11/24/08, 5:20 PM  
Blogger Saucy said...

Okay, I might try this for Buddy Budderson, he lurrves him some pumpkin pie, but I am anti-pumpkin in the worst way... it still looks like an awesome recipe. He'll love it.

11/25/08, 12:45 AM  
Blogger Mary Beth said...

This sounds so good. I don't have any "family" pumpkin pie recipes so I am definitely going to try this.

I love your site-the look and style. Very nice!

11/25/08, 7:11 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

YUM! I LOVE pumpkin pie! Thanks for the recipe.
Blessings,
Jill

11/25/08, 11:28 AM  
Blogger Jamey said...

Wow this sounds so good! thanks for sharing! Happy TMTT!

11/25/08, 2:15 PM  
Blogger Live.Love.Eat said...

Love the layering of cool whip in it.

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy TMTT!!

11/25/08, 2:54 PM  
Blogger Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Thanks for participating in TMTT, today. Happy Thanksgiving.

11/25/08, 7:57 PM  
Blogger Pam B said...

Cheryl, that pie recipe looks scrumptious! I'll have to try it out.

Wishing you and yours a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!

11/26/08, 9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's beautiful, I can't wait to try a new version of pumpkin pie. I love your site!!

12/1/08, 11:05 AM  
Blogger shweetpotato said...

OMGOSH I just gotta try this one, it looks SOO gorgeous and YUMMY :D

4/24/09, 10:21 AM  
Blogger Hoosier Homemade said...

That looks great! And I love that it's a family recipe!
Thanks for joining in the fun at the Holiday Food Fest! I hope you join us next Thurs.
~Liz

11/5/09, 5:11 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I love family recipes =D. This one is absolutely amazing! I love the flavours and everything - delicious!

11/5/09, 5:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a GREAT!!! recipe. I love the way you do the topping.
Geri

11/6/09, 11:37 AM  
Blogger gfe--gluten free easily said...

Carrying on family traditions is so much fun, especially when you tweak them to your needs. :-) We are all looking for new pumpkin pie recipes to add to our repertoire--thanks so much! I'm one of the hostesses for the Holiday Food Fest and I really appreciate you joining in!

Shirley

11/6/09, 12:43 PM  
Blogger Its So Very Cheri said...

Yummy--I will have to make that. I will be sending over some of our favorites. I'm working through my to do list.

cheri

11/16/09, 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

If you have something to say.......Leave me a comment HERE!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home