Tidy Mom

has been moved to new address

http://tidymom.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

February 27, 2009

Freshening up the bedroom


Yesterday I posted pictures of the white dishes I bought over the weekend.
I eventually want a nice collection that can be displayed all together.

For now, I found a nice spot for 3 of the pieces in our bedroom,
on my dresser.

I picked up the little mercury glass vase and blue box at Big Lots the other day for
a mere $16.

BEFORE
(click to see larger)
Here's a before picture I found on the computer of how my dresser
has looked for the last several years.
I was tired of the berries around the chimney with the candle in it,
the black round shaker box.

I like this new look!
It looks fresh and feminine.
I still need to do something with the lamp, and maybe
the jewelry box

AFTER
This is where I need some help!

I'm trying to work on our bedroom.
Right now it's in-between two stages
Our room used to be "Americana"
Red and Blue with stars
I'm now working on Brown and Blue and I'm wanting
to get rid of some of the "country" in the room, and
make it more feminine.

Here's a shot of one side of the room.


It's not a large room - and I know it has too much furniture in it.
I want to paint the stained 2 door jelly cabinet
- any suggestions on what color?


I posted about my lingerie chest here,
it was the last piece of furniture
my dad made for me before he passed away less than a year later.

I would also love to hear some suggestions for over the bed.

My list of things for this room
♥a new headboard
♥new window treatments
♥wall decor
♥throw for the foot of the bed
(or whole new comforter)
♥get rid of the boom box
♥new frames for the little pictures
*the big pictures are pictures of my grandfather as a baby
and my great & great great grandparents

Please leave me some comments
on what to do with this poor room.

EDITED TO ADD
You have to check out the FLATTERING honor that
Amy over at Living Locurto
just gave to little 'ole ME!!
The BEST MOMMY Award!!
yeah, that's right! click that link and you'll see!

Thanks Amy!
Like I said, you're a GREAT bloggy friend
and hope we get to meet some day!!

**** This is post #98****

only 2 more until the celebration!

post signature


Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

oooo I love brown & blue- thats what our bedroom is- 1st I'd paint the walls a yummy coffee brown- then get out the spray paint & paint those stars above your bed a creamy off-white. I would also paint that little chest an off white color too. oooo I wish I lived near you cuz I love love love doing stuff like this- and doing it "cheap"- just remember spray paint is your friend!

2/27/09, 3:32 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Cheryl,

As a guy im not much into decorating, but I had to stop by just to tell you I was here and let ya know I still luv ya!

Big time congrats for the award though from Amy, you so do deserve it!

Love and Prayers,

Tim

2/27/09, 3:33 PM  
Blogger TidyMom said...

Thanks for the help Amanda - now you get to see why I'm the "problem client" LOL
The wall are a beige/light tan (doesn't show well in the pictures), we just painted a few years ago, so I don't think there is any way I could get the hubby to paint again just yet.

The starts - I "could paint, and that's an idea - but do you think they still "go" with the room?

The Jelly cabinet will probably stay there next to the lingerie chest, if I paint it another cream I'm afraid they'll clash, look like I tried to match them, but missed.

ok, see now say "Missy, WHY did you ask for help?" LOL

keep 'em coming!
~TidyMom

2/27/09, 3:40 PM  
Blogger Valarie Lea said...

Hmmmm what if you painted those stars????

2/27/09, 3:51 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Ahh gotcha what if you sand the chest and stain it a natural wood color or you could go espresso brown. Ad for the stars those are so popular right now I think they could work or for something fun above the bed get scrapbook paper in the colors you like and mount them on canvas its cheap art that looks costly if I think of other stuff i'll write back.

2/27/09, 4:08 PM  
Blogger Antoinette Marie said...

i just keep going back to the flower on the new dresser setting...i'd like to see that incorporated into a headboard, maybe with high-setting flower boxes toward the top of a white-washed wood headboard and white-washing that cabinet to match...with what you have and not totally redoing the whole room, i'm thinking "country chic," which is a lot of white-washing, chic flowers, vases, etc....kind of pump up what you've already started...just a thought...blessings

2/27/09, 7:56 PM  
Blogger TidyMom said...

antoinettemariew THAT sounds GREAT!! I like that idea!! I'm going to start looking for a GREAT headboard!!

~TidyMom

2/27/09, 8:01 PM  
Blogger Brenda Heisler said...

Cheryl,

Congrats on the Mommy award. That's really wonderful. You and your daughters are so pretty and everyone looks so happy.

I'm following your blog now.

2/27/09, 8:05 PM  
Blogger ohiofarmgirl said...

Hey there Tidymom....looks like you are in for a change!!! My bedroom is also chocolate and blue. I painted the walls a chocolate with a taupe trim on the moldings. I also used battenberg curtains....they might fit in your bedroom if you like them. How about an old window frame that is peeling the paint (no glass) they are easy to come by. I hung one about our fireplace in the bedroom and we love it.
I'm not big on stars but if you are go for it.
I also found so large candle sticks on clearance at Hobby Lobby.
I can post a pic of my bedroom if you want to see...
Good luck...think outside the box!!! Dianntha

2/28/09, 4:25 PM  
Blogger TidyMom said...

ohiofarmgirl YES!! I'd LOVE to see - I don't know what battenberg curtains are. The old window sounds like a great idea for over the bed - especially if I can't find a big headboard. - I'm tired of the stars - so I don't mind if they go. thanks for the suggestions!!

~TidyMom

2/28/09, 4:28 PM  
Blogger KCZMA said...

C-

I saw an epi of Trading Spaces where they made a headboard by painting it on the wall behind the bed. Maybe that's an idea? As for the room itself, maybe paint a border across the top or, if DH won't go for painting the whole room, perhaps an accent wall? Can you strip the cabinet back to bare wood? I don't know anything at all about that stuff! GL whatever you decide!

-Karen

2/28/09, 5:10 PM  
Blogger jen@odbt said...

I'm decorating our master bedroom too (it's only been 11 years). You can see some of it on my blog. I'm using brown/green and have gotten great suggestions from comments. For the area above the headboard, I like the idea of framing kids' artwork or large framed pictures of family.

Congrats on your Best Mommy Award. I saw Amy's post earlier.

2/28/09, 9:07 PM  
Blogger TidyMom said...

Karen I don't think I can paint well enough to paint a "headboard" on the wall - but I do like the accent wall idea! as far ast stripping the cabinet, that is an idea......thanks!!

Jen thanks - I'm off to look at your blog now!!

~TidyMom

3/1/09, 6:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You know what I just saw that was SO cool? An old door that was used as a headboard for a bed. Does that sound cool? It might not sound as cool as it looked. I love the mercury glass. So cool!

3/1/09, 12:51 PM  
Blogger TidyMom said...

I LOVE the idea of an old door - and I've thought about doing that - we have a kingsized bed, wonder how you'd do that - I'll have to measure the bed, and see what size most doors are. and how would you attach it? I guess I could just hang it on the wall right?

~TidyMom

3/1/09, 12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

If you have something to say.......Leave me a comment HERE!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home