Tidy Mom

has been moved to new address

http://tidymom.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

October 27, 2009

Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup

We are having the wettest and one of the coldest Octobers on record here in St. Louis.

So I've been in a soup mood!!

Soup is a GREAT Halloween meal as well, you can fix a big pot during the day, and easily eat before or after Trick-or-Treating!

One of my favorites at St. Louis Bread (Panera Bread) is their

Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup!

So, I've been on a search for similar recipe! I found one and tweaked it just a bit!!

OMG! I LOVE LOVE LOVED how this soup turned out!!

It's filling, hearty and makes GREAT leftovers! Just be sure to add a little water when re-heating.

It will definitely become a regular in our house!

Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup

Ingredients:

  • 2-3 Tbl Olive Oil
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 cup carrots
  • 1/2 celery
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 cooked, boneless chicken breast halves, shredded
  • 1 (4.5 ounce) package quick cooking long grain and wild rice with seasoning packet
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 cups heavy cream

Directions:

1. Cook chicken breast - I cooked mine in a skillet with a little bit of olive oil until cooked thru (about 4-5 mins on each side), removed from pan and shredded with a knife and fork. **You could also use a rotisserie chicken, just pull chicken from bone. Set cooked chicken aside.

2. In a large pot over medium heat saute garlic cloves in olive oil, then add carrot and celery and saute for a few minutes until softened.

3. Add broth, water and chicken. Bring just to boiling, then stir in rice, reserving seasoning packet. Cover and remove from heat.

4. In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper and flour. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in contents of seasoning packet until mixture is bubbly. Reduce heat to low, then stir in flour mixture with a wooden spoon by tablespoons, until thick, to form a roux. Whisk in cream, a little at a time, until fully mixed and smooth. Cook until thickened about 5 minutes.

5. Add cream mixture into broth and rice, stir slowly. Cook over medium heat until heated through, about 10 to 15 minutes.

Yields approximately 8 servings.


Check out these great links for more fabulous recipes!!



Blessed with Grace



post signature

Labels: , , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger bridget {bake at 350} said...

This looks perfect for fall! Thanks for the recipe! I make chili, but soups intimidate me. :)

10/27/09, 7:45 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

We have been having a lot of rain here too. This looks nice and yummy and warm.

10/27/09, 8:39 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Another great one I am going to try this weekend. Quick question from a stupid UK reader. We don’t do "cups" over here, what’s that the equivalent of? Thanks!

10/27/09, 8:40 AM  
Blogger Cecilia said...

I'm in the STL area too. I am SO tired of the rain. This is my all time favorite soup. I cannot wait to try this recipe. Thank you for sharing!!

10/27/09, 1:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Perfect recipe for a cold day. THANKS!!! Geri

10/27/09, 5:23 PM  
Anonymous The Prudent Homemaker said...

We had chicken and rice soup for lunch today! We didn't have wild rice, though, or cream, butter, or flour in ours. That would be a tasty variation!

Dan,

A cup is 8 ounces. The 4 cups of broth is about 1 liter of broth (it's 1 quart exactly). The carrots would be 4 ounces in volume of carrots--about 100ML in volume.

10/27/09, 6:04 PM  
Blogger TidyMom said...

Thanks Prudent Homemaker I answered Dan via email, but I should have answered him here as well in case anyone else need that info!!

~TidyMom

10/27/09, 8:13 PM  
Blogger Cole said...

That soup looks absolutely delicious! Fabulous for a cold day!

10/27/09, 10:20 PM  
Blogger Amy @ Living Locurto said...

Yum! Do you mind if I put this on one of my future weekly meal plans? I'll link back here for sure. It looks delicious!

10/27/09, 11:43 PM  
Blogger Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Yea me! I have all the ingredients to make this soup!! It really does sound wonderful Thanks!!

10/28/09, 2:22 PM  
Blogger Helpful Housewife said...

Looks delish! I will be making this soon for my family!

10/29/09, 3:18 PM  
Blogger Aimee said...

This is AWESOME! A new winter favorite.

1/11/10, 5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

If you have something to say.......Leave me a comment HERE!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home