Tidy Mom

has been moved to new address

http://tidymom.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

January 13, 2010

Decorating Dilemma Help Needed!

Amanda at Serenity Now is hosting a Decorating Dilemmas Party!!

I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to get some help!
For as long as I can remember, I've decorated my house in a country style, more on the primitive country side, than the "cutesy" country. My family built country furniture and had a business selling it and country home decor. So for 15 years, it's what I had access to - I loved it, and still do........but I'm slowing growing tired of some of it.

I love most of my furniture, most all of my wood furniture was built by my Dad and brother (except for the oak pieces) You can read a post about a lot of my furniture in this post.

I would like to clean up the "clutter" and darkness of some of my decor, like I did with my new office last year (see my office here) I want to keep all of the painted furniture (that was all made by my family), a few of those pieces I don't mind painting - like my coffee table and end table.

So, here's my first challenge.........my family room. I would love some feedback on how to start making some changes (that wont break the bank)


  • I don't want to paint (we painted the whole house just a few years ago)
  • I'd like fitted slipcovers for the couches - but not in the budget at the moment *I should not my mom gave us these couches and PB slipcovers - but they're not fitted and we use these way too much for the non-fitted slipcovers (I put them on the couch in the basement)
  • I'm willing to paint the coffee table and end table or look for new ones (I can move these to the basement
  • need to update that picture wall
  • new window treatments


  • I'd like to move that roll top desk out and get a sofa table
  • need new lamps!!!!
  • get rid of the Americana theme

  • I want to get rid of this big double shelf and all the little stuff on it- what can I put there?
  • I would like a new TV cabinet or armoire
  • the TV needs to stay in this corner---because the hubby likes to watch it while we eat (ugh)
  • I want ideas for what to put on the walls!
  • RUG?
This is not in the family room, but in the next room - I would like to take this shelf down as well, but don't know what to replace it with.........




ok........enough rambling...........some ideas? where to start? Thanks for any help you can give!!
Be sure to head over to Amanda's party to help other's in need or post about your own delimmas!!


post signature


Labels: ,

29 Comments:

Anonymous WritewhereUr said...

Hi Tidy Mom:

I am no decorator, but i look at your rooms and think it would be a fun canvas to redo. Some simple changes that would change things up and give the impression of a make-over...

Your window treatment could go more towards window blinds (for privacy & light), with a light airy, lace valance and panels. They will brighten up the room and still go well with the painted walls. This will modernize the look and feel of the living room. Over the corner plaid chair you could hang a glass globe light from the ceiling or you could put a torchiere type floor lamp.

On the wall behind the couch (one with all of the pictures) you could hang an inexpensive scenic picture from (Walmart/Target). The pictures could then be scanned and reduced in size to be put into a scrapbook that could be placed on the coffee table for viewing. This would be a great, creative family project putting the scrapbook together. Each person doing their own pages!

The coffee table, yes painting it a nice white on the sides would be lovely. For the top? How about purchasing some of those cans of spray stone finish? Pick a nice complimentary color of stone to go with your walls. Make sure that you spray a sealant over it. Then on top of that you could do a nice, narrow table cloth runner down the middle. Purchase a protective piece of glass to cover the top of the coffee table and whaa la!

Paint the end table the same, top with stone and protective piece of glass on top.

The shelves and clutter could go (i have problems with clutter on walls too). Maybe get one of those photo frames that group pics together in a collage; only, choose one of the modern ones that are wrought iron, chrome, or dark cherry wood.

One one of the other rooms, how about putting an inexpensive tapestry on the walls to change the look and feel.

Pier One imports often has great deals on their wicker or wrought iron wall decorations. Wait until they have a sale; you'll feel better about purchasing it. They also have great place mats/table cloths and table cloth runners that have fun prints to change the look.

Maybe have some decorative large candles in place of some of the knick-knacks and simplify. South western wall hangings, candles and rugs are easy to find and often inexpensive. Or perhaps go for a woodsy theme with wicker, bamboo...and green plants (either real or man made). These items can be neutral and blend well with other decorations like your slip covers down the road.

Have fun creating your new environment. Let the decorating reflect your family's personality and lifestyle.

http://www.writewhereyouareblog.com

1/13/10, 9:30 AM  
Blogger Ells said...

Wow, fun challenge - and I love how specific you are! I also really like your wall color and the basic pieces that you're retaining. How special that you have furniture made by your own family. That is really meaningful.

I was curious if you have a new theme/emphasis in mind as you move away from Americana? The checks in your wing back chair really intrigue me. Not that I recommend a whole roomful of checks! :) But it might be easier to start with something that really inspires you and build from there.

If it were my room I'd reduce the amount of decor by about 4/5, leaving only what was most important or attractive and see what that does for me. Maybe give yourself some time to get used to blank wall space and how it leads the eye to what you really want to look at?

Have fun! Looking forward to checking back at your progress. :)

1/13/10, 9:48 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Oh My Gosh Cheryl!
This is too fun!
I am so tickled you are going to make over these rooms!
I've got to think this all through!
Before I make any profound statements that is!
Ha!
Know you can't believe I'm holding back!
Oh!
Now this is my kind of blogging!
Feel like we're on HGTV!!!!!
XXOOXX

1/13/10, 10:03 AM  
Blogger Bridget said...

I just found your blog a while ago and am already hooked! I would take everything off your walls and ease into things. If you have a TJMaxx near you it's definitely worth the trip. Possibly a mirror on the wall by the TV, a different grouping of family pictures on the opposite wall, a fabric covered corkboard with pictures or family things by the kitchen table. I would also paint the coffee table black on top and a distressed cream on the bottom. You have some nice pottery on top of the maroon cabinet in the kitchen. Maybe cut down on what's on top of there and focus on the cake stand, the pitcher and the candle holders.

It's so fun to change things around! I find myself rearranging quite a bit after the Christmas decorations are put away.

1/13/10, 10:09 AM  
Blogger Trish @TheOldPostRoad said...

I just love to give my opinion, even if no one is listening!

Quick fix - all from photo #1:
1. Remove swag over window and replace with two straight panels -one on either side. Please do not use another plaid fabric. Solid color would be good.
2. Take down (remove) the wreath and small group to the right of the window.
3. Above the sofa - lower that collection by one foot. Once you do those three things, I think you will know what to purge in the rest of the room. If you really like things -don't throw them away -just store them and swap out -maybe with the seasons.

TV's are just ugly, aren't they? We do not have an enclosed wardrobe for ours - but I wish I did.

I have a hard time tossing things out -because they cost MONEY!!! Maybe you could have a yard sale or sell some stuff on Ebay. That makes it easier (at least mentally).

No hard feelings - right?!
(you will notice I did not show any rooms - I can't handle the critiques, right now!)
-Trish

1/13/10, 12:12 PM  
Blogger Samantha Cummings said...

Oooh fun. I have only a few suggestions for you!

Remove the double shelf and all the clutter and replace it with a large piece of art that you really like. Just a clean, straight canvas directly behind the sofa there.

I'd keep the rolltop desk - I think it's one of the most charming things in the room!

Also - if you weren't against painting, you could really transform the rooms pretty easily into a country, shabby chic look. Brighter linens, painted pieces...take a look:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_EFOQda0Qigw/SnH5mA4a_qI/AAAAAAAAB1Q/xFb0P9GjoXQ/s1600-h/BeachCottageShabbyChicDiningRoomWhiteAqua_Full.jpg

1/13/10, 1:20 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

There's so much potential here, its exciting! You've gotten lots of great feedback already, so I won't repeat those things. Here are a few other ideas:

1. I really like your photo wall! I'd move it down a bit, and maybe change out the photos for black and white versions.

2. I'd replace the double shelf with a much simpler arrangement - maybe a mirror or piece of art flanked by candle sconces, or a big piece of iron work. Or even something like this:
http://frugalhomeideas.blogspot.com/2009/10/crazy-easy-wall-art.html

3. You could replace the shelf above the table with a more clean-lined one (or just modify the existing one by removing the pegs and back board, and painting the whole thing black. Then you could prop almost anything up there - homemade art, something you bought, a large frame.

Good luck!

1/13/10, 1:32 PM  
Blogger Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Hi, Cheryl. :) Thanks for linking up again. :) To answer your question, yes, I will plan on doing another Decorating Dilemmas Party. I may do it next month, but it might be in March. I haven't decided. :)

Also, thank you so much for YOUR suggestions for ME! :) I am going to read The Nester's article again when I have a chance tonight. :)

One thing I've been learning as I read my fave decorating blogs and looking at pictures is that to move away from country (which I also want to do), you need to simplify.

I sometimes find myself thinking that "if I love it, I must display it!" and then I end up with a bunch of STUFF sitting out. Rotating my favorite pieces is going much better and I don't feel so cluttered.

If you don't want to completely ditch country, you could always just simplify what you do have.

I like the suggestion of going all black and white with the photos over your couch. You may want to look into seeing how much Wal-Mart, Target, Costco, Sam's, etc. charges to scan pieces and do b&w. Then lower the whole collection so it's closer to eye level.

If you like the idea of the shelves by the TV, then maybe consider repurposing, selling, or donating the current ones and go for the chunkier looking "decorator's shelves" that you can find in Lowe's or Target. Add a few of your most favorite accessories (or new yard sale/Salvation Army/TJ Maxx finds) and layer them.

Check out this article by The Nester. I love it!
http://www.thenester.com/2010/01/accessories-on-parade.html

I LOVE that you know which direction you want to go. :)

Have a great day, and thanks again for the linky love. :)

1/13/10, 1:58 PM  
Blogger Kendall@ Finesse Your Nest said...

I haven't read everyone else's suggestions yet, so sorry if I repeat anything. I approach your room 2 different way to "modernize" your country theme: Quick updates you can do now AND long term goals

Quick Updates Now:

1) Curtains -- Take them down and replace with woven shades (not to dark, a med brown maybe?) and frame the window with panels in ivory duck. You have a lot of pattern in the room so I would stay with a solid color in your panels.

2) Picture wall - the whole thing needs to come down about a foot (from what I can tell from the pic) Everything is way too high. I love the "S"! All black frames are good, but I would take your fave pics (professional & snapshots) and have them printed in either B/W or sepia (Sam's does this for CHEAP) so it is a more cohesive look.

3)Furniture - Your furniture looks to be in great condition and I think the plaid sofas & the check chair can work in your new scheme. I would get some ivory throw pillows for the sofa (in a casual fabric like ivory. You could even mix in some burlap pillows!) and an ivory throw. This will help break up the pattern a little.

Tables -- I think they would be beautiful painted ivory and distressed, but they also work "as is"

TV Wall - for now remove about half of what you have on the double shelf and paint the shelf ivory (distressed) OR remove the shelf all together and hang a beautiful piece of art (large)- see long term for more ideas for this area.

Long term -
1) Have slipcovers made for your sofas. I think ivory linen would be gorgeous. You will need to change out the throw pillows to a print or other solid color if you go this route. I would leave the check chair "as is" just to have some pattern in the room.

2)TV wall - Get a rustic pine armoire for your TV and angle it in the corner. You may not need anything on that wall, depending on how big the armoire is. Be sure to accessorize the top of your armoire.

3) Add a seagrass area rug (rugs over carpet ARE okay!)

Good luck with your update. I love your paint color, by the way!

1/13/10, 2:02 PM  
Blogger Kendall@ Finesse Your Nest said...

Sorry on my comment about throw pillows, I MEANT to say a "casual fabric like twill!"

Sorry sometimes my typing is out of control!

1/13/10, 2:04 PM  
Blogger Angie Holden said...

I say try to lighten it up. Whites, tans, you know. Lighter = more modern.
And I just had to comment cause I LOVE LOVE LOVE that pie safe!!!! :)

1/13/10, 2:22 PM  
Blogger Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

I think a mirror would be a great solution for either the space opposite the window or the frames. I'm sure you could find one you like for almost nothing at a garage sale.

For the little things, I would just grab a few boxes and fill them up with accessories. With a blank slate, it will be easier to decide what you want to bring back and where you'd like to put things.

1/13/10, 2:23 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Just a thought, what about that red cabinet in your dining room? Would the TV fit into it? You could paint it to match whatever you decide to do with the other tables, if the Tv is too deep you can also cut a hole in the back of the red cabinet, it will be in the corner anyway and no one would see it. Our TV cabinet has a cut out in the back for that very reason. Just a thought.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cindy

1/13/10, 3:03 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Hi! I am visiting from Amanda's. I have a few thoughts to share.

1. I think the sofas would look less country if they had coordinating plain rather than patterned pillows on them. Maybe black?

2. I love the idea of your photo wall (I especially love the S)! I would split it between the wall it is on now and the wall with the double shelf - so it isn't so crowded and I would replace the pictures with black and white or sepia toned ones.

3. I think losing the Americana/country knick-knacks and shelves will make a huge difference. It's okay to have some blank walls. If you really like the shelf look, you could hang more contemporary shelves and prop the photo frames on them rather than hanging them on the wall.

4. The nester has a great post on accessories: http://www.thenester.com/2010/01/lessons-on-accessories.html

I hope this helps!

1/13/10, 3:07 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I'm so not good at these things. I would probably take everything down and then go through what I want to keep and then decide where to put it.

1/13/10, 3:39 PM  
Blogger TidyMom said...

Sorry Cindy - that red Pie Safe was custom made (by my dad) for my food pantry - we don't have a pantry so that's what that piece was made for! Good idea though! LOL

Thanks for all of the wonderful ideas so far!

~TidyMom

1/13/10, 3:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Popping over courtesy of the decorating dilemma party! I haven't read the previous suggestions, so may be repeating a few things here...

Some easy and quick ways to update:
~ recover the pillows and add some light neutral throws
~ paint your black photo frames white & consider breaking up the disaplay... move part of it to where you have the double shelf now
~ removing the valance from the windows and add side panels in a light neutral or or simple geometric pattern
~ for lamps, I'd consider clear glass {google images has some great examples} or streamlined silver with white shades like this: http://www.decorpad.com/photos/2009/02/16/98f09bd860f0.jpg

Good luck!

1/13/10, 5:47 PM  
Anonymous Amy {The Red Chair Blog} said...

Someone might have already mentioned this, but several stores now offer "separate seat" slipcovers that look much more tailored than the typical baggy one piece slipcover. Sure Fit is one company that sells these. Bed, Bath, and Beyond carries Sure Fit brand products; with a BBB coupon, you might be able to get a good deal.

1/13/10, 6:40 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

Ideas for new wall decor - I love architectural pieces when you have a large area to cover. You might look around at a architectural salvage shop and see if anything catches your eye. Think outside the box!

1/13/10, 7:25 PM  
Blogger Linda@CraftaholicsAnonymous said...

For your picture wall, the frames should only be about 8" above the top of the sofa. That way they won't look like they're floating. You could update your monogram by mod podging some fun scrapbook paper or fabric on it.
Good luck!
Linda

1/13/10, 7:37 PM  
Blogger alanna rose said...

I'm all for just taking everything down from the walls and living with the room empty for a few days. Then look at what you have and see if you want to reuse anything (maybe paint the shelves and hang them in different spots?).

I would add a large rug, but only after you've slip-covered the couches (otherwise you might have too many patterns going on). I just ordered some separate cushion slipcovers from overstock.com - the prices were pretty reasonable (and the shipping is cheap).
:)

1/13/10, 8:09 PM  
Blogger bridget {bake at 350} said...

Cheryl...when we moved last year, I got rid of all of my Americana stuff, too. :) I still have a big red and white checked chair hiding in my (yellow and ivory) bedroom, until I can get it recovered! :) Moving really helped me get rid of things that I just didn't love any more. Plus, my husband is a big "let's get rid of everything" guy! ;) Can't wait to see what you do.

My advice....do what YOU love and it will come together!

1/13/10, 9:16 PM  
Blogger The kids said...

I love your rooms- makes me want to come in, sit down and have a coffee, so nice and comfy!

1/13/10, 9:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Tidymom,
I haven't read thru all your other comments/suggestions, so what I have to add will probably be too little, too late! But that's never stopped me before! ;-)

I don't have any real nifty solutions or fixes, as I'm pretty limited on my decorating abilities. But when we recently repainted our living room, I wanted a change of decor. So I took everything off the walls and have yet to replace anything*. If I were you, I'd so the same, except you don't need to paint. I'd just take everything away that you don't want to display any longer. Keep what you do and think about what you want to incorporate. If you're changing decorating styles, this might be fairly easy. Your couches and chairs look like they are in good shape, so I'd just switch out the window treatments and re-accessorize with things that will suit your change of decorating style. Also, repainting the end tables and sofa table will be a quick fix for getting a new look.

*I have decided on some things to put up on my walls now, but just haven't gotten around to hanging them yet!

Good luck and have fun!

Nancy

1/14/10, 9:46 AM  
Blogger Carey's Farmhouse Kitchen said...

I have very simple advice go through the room and decide what you should keep, still love and what to donate, garage sale etc.

I think with a few lighter, brighter pieces maybe new curtains or throw pillows less clutter you will like the room a whole lot more. I think you have some great pieces in there but it's just too busy.

Carey

1/14/10, 5:36 PM  
Blogger Diane Schmidt said...

I wish I lived next door, I love redecorating and get asked to go to friends homes and tell them what I think. I loved #9 advise really great pointers. It's a lot of work, but clearing the room and making sure you "Love" every piece you bring in is another direction to go it. Your office photos look great, I'm sure this will look equally nice. Can't wait to see the after photos.

1/14/10, 9:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm challenged in the area of decor, but if you choose to sell any of your prim stuff, give me a yell! :)

1/15/10, 9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you asked for ideas, I hope any of these might be to your liking:

Take everything off the walls and start with a blank slate. Without the smaller accessories, the room should feel lighter.

Would you consider bringing in the green cabinet that houses your husband's things in your bedroom and use it to house the TV, omponents, and games? It should pick up on the colors of your couches, and hide some of the wires, etc.

I agree with you to remove the desk, perhaps put the chair and a different end table & lamp there.

Center the large couch on the wall where it is, and flank it with matching bookshelves. Place a board across the top of them to unify the units, and give you more display space and height. Place about 5 or so of your picture frames w/black and white photos in them above your couch, or a large piece of art, or whatever you want.

Use lighter, solid colored pillows on your
sofas. Straight panel drapes on either side of the window. A large mirror to reflect light above the loveseat.

If you are tired of your kitchen chairs, I would put them away for awhile, and look at thrift shops and garage sales until you could find some chairs with simple lines you could paint to match your table. You might want to remove the brown wood cabinet by your table and put your pretty pantry there.

I hope any of these ideas would be useful--it's fun to shop the house and use what you have in new places--good luck!

1/18/10, 7:24 PM  
Blogger The Hooper Family said...

I would take all the decorations down for a week or so - than think of the ones you really *miss*. You have a lot going on in there. I love country style as well, but I think a habit a lot of us country girls fall into it just having too much stuff everywhere, such that nothing is really showcased. If you buy anything new, I would look for a much larger scale to balance some of your smaller things.

Some random ideas:
Look on craig's list for a nice chunky, rustic armoire for your tv. So many people are selling them around where I live because those big flat screens don't fit in them! I see them a lot of the thrift stores too. That would be perfect in your room! I would paint the red cabinet and coffee table an antique white and distress. That would lighten up the space a bit, and compliment the wall color.

I like the idea of the picture display over the couch (I have something like it too) but I think yours is a bit too high, and maybe you want to change the scale to make it not seem as cluttered. Maybe use 6 big 11 x 14 frames to fill the same space.

Can't wait to see what you come up with! Your office looks wonderful! :)

1/29/10, 12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

If you have something to say.......Leave me a comment HERE!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home