Tidy Mom

has been moved to new address

http://tidymom.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

January 6, 2010

Works For Me Wed....backwards edition


This weeks Works For Me Wednesday is a Backwards Edition..........instead of ME sharing something that works for ME.......I get to ask YOU for help!!

I'm going to be honest here.........

This is NOT going to be pretty! We are talking early 80's ugly!

I have this "thing", this "board" my mom gave me back in the early 80's when "cute country" was in-style and Amish dolls were a big part of that decor!

You KNOW you want one don't you?! LOL......jealous aren't you?

Well I still have this piece, it hangs on the wall (I have it hidden on a basement wall that is never seen. and I'm thinking there's something really amazing I could do with it if I gave it a makeover with some paint..........after painting over it I'm stuck!!!

What could I do with this? Any ideas? (it's 30" wide and 22" tall)

Can you help a girl out?

OH! OH {hand in the air} - ONE MORE QUESTION....

I have a LARGE HEAVY platter I would like to hang

can someone tell me what I need or how to hang it?

I'm also linking this up to the Decorating Dilemma's Party at Serenity Now

UPDATE: - I posted another Decorating Dilemma here!

While you're here......don't miss the

Country Bob's All Purpose Sauce Giveaway!


post signature



Labels: , ,

36 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would say find a quote you really like or phrase and make it a vinyl sign. Maybe for the kitchen: Tonight's menu: Take it or Leave it.
Or something more creative (because let's be honest...that wasn't that great!) :)

1/6/10, 8:37 AM  
Blogger TidyMom said...

That's an idea!! Thanks! ooooooh, what if I paint the main part with chalkboard paint?! hmmmmmm

~TidyMom

1/6/10, 8:41 AM  
Blogger Katy said...

Yeah, I was thinking chalkboard paint too! :) That could be super cute! :) Best of luck with it!

1/6/10, 9:03 AM  
Blogger SoBella Creations said...

I would either use Chalkboard paint or Magnetic paint.

1/6/10, 9:15 AM  
Blogger writtenbliss said...

or BOTH!

1/6/10, 9:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I totally see a darling chalk board white rim and chalkboard paint! Maybe a thin long narrow metal rack or something to screw along the bottom to hold chalk! ;)

1/6/10, 9:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OHHH' I like the magnetic board... you can do Recipes in white vinyl at the top and then you can magnetize (is that a word) your recipe cards on the board and lean it on a cute recipe stand, and read and cook! HMMMMM...... K I want one now!

1/6/10, 10:02 AM  
Blogger mommy2luke2008 said...

I was going to suggest chalkboard paint too!!!! Great minds think alike!!

1/6/10, 10:26 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Hi TidyMOm...
Laughing at you big time!
Well about the board...
I would paint it a chalky white...
shabby chic it a bit...you know...buff that sucker down...and then...use it in my lap to write on!
When I grab my journal to sit for a bit to write...I am always grabbing a larger size book to "bare down on" as we used to call it growing up when we would "get the coloring books out!" Now...you could paint it white...then...let your daughter paint it with lots of fun colors...flowers...hearts...you know...the way only children can paint!!!
Then spray it! and use to write on!
That would be reallllly cute!
As far as hanging the platter.
We usually just get those plate holders...like bracets..and mount on the wall to place plates or platters in.
XXOOXX

1/6/10, 10:50 AM  
Blogger TidyMom said...

Thanks Teresa - but this thing is WAY too big and heavy to sit on my lap! LOL it's 30"x22" and SOLID!
As far as the platter goes - I don't think those plate holder things will hold this platter - it's very large and heavy - but maybe they sell heavy duty ones!

1/6/10, 10:57 AM  
Blogger bridget {bake at 350} said...

Those Amish dolls without faces always scared me! :)

I was thinking black with a monogram...or chalkboard paint...that would be fun! I like the menu idea!

1/6/10, 11:38 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I like the idea of chalkboard paint, but what if you added some pegs at the bottom? Maybe put some vinyl lettering in the middle? Depending on where you hang it, you could hang dish towels, clothes, keys, etc.

1/6/10, 12:15 PM  
Blogger Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

You should post this to my Decorating Dilemmas Party on the 13th! It would be perfect, and you'd (hopefull!) get some more good feedback. :)

I like the chalkboard idea....or paint it black and stencil your family's monogram with a quote or favorite word or something. You could even find a neat stencil (not 80s looking!) to add as a small embellishment. :)

For the platter...Rhoda at Southern Hospitality has mentioned these disc things that attach to the back of plates and platters. They don't show and supposedly can hold a good amount of weight. They may advertise with her, so you might want to check her site out. :)

1/6/10, 1:05 PM  
Anonymous Gabrielle said...

ooo, I have kept many such items and agonized over how to update them without offending etc. So here is my two cents. Make it into a jewelry keeper. I did this with a really ugly mirrow this fall. Here is the link.

http://www.beewisebags.com/Bee_Wise_Bags/Bags.inspiration.life./Entries/2009/11/17_Ugly_Mirror_Makeover.html

As for how to hang a really heavy platter. There are heavy duty plate hangers for this and then use anchors in the sheetrock.

I hope this helps, have a great new year!

1/6/10, 1:26 PM  
Blogger The Buntens said...

I would definitely say chalkboard paint and I like putting a saying of some sort.

Or paint it put some kind of hooks on it for dog leashes, keys, etc.

or both!

1/6/10, 1:43 PM  
Anonymous Beverly said...

I gave my mom a decorative platter last year for Christmas. She put it on a shelf for display. It is a shelf above the breakfast nook. I think she may have used some puddy stuff to help hold the bottom in place.

1/6/10, 4:05 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

I would totally paint it with magnetic paint or chalkboard paint. Then paint or stencil a cute border around to to make it modern! It can totally be saved!!

1/6/10, 11:27 PM  
Blogger Kati @ Housewife_Swagger said...

I think maybe the wood could be upside down, do the whole chalkboard paint thing, that way the top would hold the chalk- like a ledge.

I saw a tutorial about hot glue-ing bent paperclips to the back of a plate, to make it hang without showing any hanging hardware-- it mught work for a heavy platter if you use more than one. hey also have plate hanging disks that have a sturdy glue (some people add additional glue) that also don't show around the edges.

1/7/10, 12:53 AM  
Blogger Eclectic Thrifty Chic said...

http://www.dischangers.com/products.php that site has those hangers that hold up to about 7 pounds I think.. But if it's heavier than that I'd get one of those decorative ones.. you can find big pretty iron ones sometimes..

And as for me, I may paint the "country" piece and then mount the plate to it.. maybe Add some decorative trims around it, depending on how big the platter is...

1/7/10, 1:35 AM  
Blogger The Wifeyness said...

OOH, a chalkboard is fun, but also jazz it up with some fun hooks along the bottom for coats/dish towels, etc. OR for holding an oh-so-cute apron!!! OOh, how I love a good apron!

1/7/10, 6:49 AM  
Blogger Thrifty Decor Chick said...

OK I haven't read the others yet but as soon as I saw it I thought hooks at the bottom -- or the fun vintage doorknobs or something. You could paint it and put Welcome or your last name and Est. whatever date on it and hang it in a mud room or the entry.
FUN!!

1/8/10, 9:59 PM  
Blogger Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Wow, those are creepy aren't they? Yes, the kitchen idea with dinner or something like that is adorable too!

1/8/10, 10:01 PM  
Blogger Lisa at Paint in my Hair said...

I was going to say chalkboard too...and maybe hang it from a ribbon

1/12/10, 9:19 PM  
Blogger Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Thank you for linking up, Cheryl! :) I hope you get some more good ideas...looks like most are leaning towards chalkboard paint. :)

1/12/10, 9:30 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Well, I see that you've got lots of suggestions for chalkboard paint; that was my first thought. I once saw a homemade chalkboard where they attached the tray from an old Scrabble game to hold the chalk (it was a blog, but sorry, I don't know who's).
Now, let's see...I'll try to think of some other ideas...paint it and add hooks for keys, shaker pegs for coats/hats, turn it into a menu board for the kitchen.

1/12/10, 9:30 PM  
Blogger Kendall@ Finesse Your Nest said...

Oh my! That's SOME board! Well, if you aren't tied to the Amish folk (sentimentally) I would paint that sucker either black or white. Then you could either use letters to make a sentiments sign or even your last name or initial, put hooks on it (looks like the perfect size for a key holder maybe?)

1/13/10, 2:42 AM  
Blogger alanna rose said...

Thanks for the ideas on my post :)

Chalkboard! Maybe add a little piece of trim to the bottom to hold chalk, and a few binder clips up one side to display pictures?

Years ago Martha hung a heavy platter like this http://www.marthastewart.com/good-things/ribbon-hanger I personally love it. I think if the platter is really heavy, you could make the hanger from canvas (for strength) and then just add some pretty ribbon to make it decorative. And of course use a big, fat molly to hang :)

1/13/10, 8:21 AM  
Blogger Angie Holden said...

I found this yesterday. Might give you some inspiration!
http://chrisanderinkeith.blogspot.com/2009/11/diy-wall-art.html

1/13/10, 9:04 AM  
Blogger There's No Place Like Memphis Mama said...

http://www.dischangers.com/order.php

For hanging your platter!

1/13/10, 9:06 AM  
Blogger Confessions From A Work-At-Home Mom said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1/13/10, 1:00 PM  
Blogger Confessions From A Work-At-Home Mom said...

If you know someone with carpentry skills, you could also turn it into a head board for a doll's bed! Great gift idea, then, for a little girl!

~Elizabeth
Confessions From A Working Mom

1/13/10, 1:07 PM  
Blogger TidyMom said...

Thanks for all of the great ideas!!

Just a note.....I don't think my picture shows how big this thing is (and heavy!) it's 30" wide and 22" tall...solid wood so it's heavy

I think it's going to get chalkboard paint!

1/13/10, 1:18 PM  
Anonymous Sarah @ Dream In Domestic said...

I think chalkboard paint is a great idea (from skimming the comments) and I think if maybe you traced a smaller version of the shape in the middle and painted that with chalkboard paint so it looked "framed" and then maybe decoupaging some paper or fabric around the edge would look good.

Otherwise I think making it into a coat rack would be cool with some unique hooks. I think it has a lot of potential, whatever you decide to do with it. :)

1/13/10, 4:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

As if you need another suggestion! I've skimmed thru the previous ones and there are some great ideas! When I first saw it tho, the first idea that came to mind is to paint it white and put some black hooks along the bottom. Then add some stenciled numbers above each hook.

Nancy

1/13/10, 6:02 PM  
Blogger Amy @ Design-Aholic said...

At least the piece is blessed with good bones! I am seeing a bright color, like turquoise, or aqua blue with black and white lettering/detail on this one. Love the shape- and it's wood- you can't go wrong!

1/13/10, 11:23 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Well, the only thing that board is missing is some ducks (that comes for one who's 1st kitchen was mid 80s country blue with ducks...remember the ducks?)!

I was thinking it would make a cool sign, painted in a creamy white with a large traditional monogram decal on it in the center.

Can't wait to see what you do with it.

1/14/10, 6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

If you have something to say.......Leave me a comment HERE!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home