Tidy Mom

has been moved to new address

http://tidymom.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

August 18, 2008

Back to School and Flank Steak Sandwiches

Well can you believe it? Back to School time already? Where does the time go? I can't believe this will be the third year that I've only sent one child off for her first day of school in a long time. (Has Heather really been out of school THAT long already?)

So Miss Allison started 7th grade today-first year with LOCKERS! I do hope she remembers her combination and how to work the lock! LOL We went up to the school last week, found her locker, decorated it with a lighted mirror(every girl needs one of those), shelves and pictures of her and her friends. We practiced opening the lock - so hopefully there will be no problems today!

She did let me snap ONE quick photo before she got in the truck with Dad................................

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last night being the last night of "Summer Vacation" I let Allison pick dinner - she chose a family favorite! Flank Steak Sandwiches!! My mom made these a lot when I was growing up, and I've always made it for my family, it's one of those meals that everyone LOVES. Heather doesn't eat dinner with us too much any more, but when she knows I am fixing Flank Steak Sandwiches her and Sean (her boyfriend) make sure they are here for dinner! LOL
There's no real "recipe" - just "how to's" and the pictures help make it all clear.

Flank Steak Sandwiches

This makes 2 loaves and is usually enough for 4-5 people

2+ pounds of Flank Steak (I have better luck with 2 steaks a little over a pound each)
2 loaves French Bread
1 stick of margarine-melted
2 tsp Dill Weed
Garlic Salt




Season your steaks with Garlic Salt on both sides


Cut both loaves of bread lengthwise and place on cookie sheet


Place in hot oven (I usually put it on 400) and watch it until it's toasted

I cook my steaks outside on the grill - 6 mins on each side
You can do them in the oven if you'd prefer

When the steaks are finished, you are going to slice the meat thin, diagonal to the grain.
In the picture below you can see the grain, it's going horizontal, I use an electric knife and cut thin strips diagonal to that grain, this keeps the mead tender.


See how I cut diagonally to the grain?


Melt your butter and add Dill Weed and stir


After all of the meat is sliced, place it on the toasted bread
Then pour the melted dill butter over the meat.


Now fold the loaves shut and slice into sandwiches
(I use the electric knife for this step too - make sure you hold the bread down tight while cutting)

YUMMY Flank Steak Sandwiches!!


I just throw the cookie sheet on the table! LOL Serve with some fresh corn on the cob, grilled shrimp skewers and roasted potato wedges!
Dig in and ENJOY!
We had NO LEFTOVERS!


Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Cathy Cobblestone said...

Oh Cheryl - this looks yummy. Shaun, hubby, would absolutely love it. Thanks for the recipe and pics - makes me hungry jus' lookin'. Have a great one! Cathy

8/18/08, 11:16 PM  
Blogger Blogger said...

YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5/5/09, 7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

If you have something to say.......Leave me a comment HERE!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home