Tidy Mom

has been moved to new address

http://tidymom.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

May 11, 2010

Fabric Covered Switch-plate Tutorial


You may remember last week I showed you how I made some easy fabric covered wall art for my bathroom.

After I hung them, I decided to make the switch-plate match!


Fabric Covered Switchplate

It's super easy, but I took a few pictures along the way to show you!

Fabric Covered Switchplate

Supplies:
  • Switchplate cover
  • Small piece of fabric
  • Plastic or something to cover your work surface
  • Mod Podge
  • Sponge brush for Mod Podge
  • X-acto knife
  • Scissors

Fabric Covered Switchplate tutorial 1-4

1. Start with your average outdated switchplate cover.
2. Cut fabric that you ♥ just a little bigger than your switchplate.
3. Cover the switchplate with Mod Podge.
4. Lay your piece of fabric on top of the Mod Podge, and press down all surfaces. Be sure to smooth out any creases or bubbles.

Fabric Covered Switchplate tutorial 5-8

5. After the fabric and Mod Podge sit and dry a bit, trim the excess fabric around the edge of the switchplate.
6. Use an X-acto knife to cut out the slots where your switch thingies will go(I left one side attached- see next step)! - you can also use the X-acto knife to punch a whole where the screw holes are.

7. Flip switchplate over and use a little Mod Podge to glue down the pieces you cut for the opening.

8. Turn the switchplate back over and cover with 2 coats of Mod Podge.

Hang your beautiful new switchplate!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm Grilling Pizza's today over at Living Locurto!! come check it out




Photobucket




Don't miss a post subscribe via
Rss Reader or by E-Mail

post signature

Labels: , , ,

22 Comments:

Blogger Vivobello said...

LOVE it! do you think it would work with a vinyl or thin pleather?

5/11/10, 11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved your fabric *picture* idea and now the switch plates! I have extra fabric from a queen size quilt and wall hanging I made for our bedroom. Just may do the switch plates now, thanks Cheryl.

5/11/10, 12:09 PM  
Blogger Lara Harris said...

Looks great! :)

5/11/10, 12:58 PM  
Blogger Amy @ Living Locurto said...

Great idea Cheryl! Those turned out really pretty.

5/11/10, 1:55 PM  
Blogger Chrissy said...

So pretty! I'm especially fond of the fabric! I just recovered a lamp in that exact pattern. Thanks for the how-to!

5/11/10, 2:55 PM  
Blogger Sherry said...

Great Idea! I could make one for my sewingroom as I am in the middle of a spruce up. Thanks for sharing.

5/11/10, 7:57 PM  
Blogger Lorie said...

It is very cute!!

5/11/10, 8:22 PM  
Blogger MJ BOG Booster VP said...

Super cute!! Great tutorial.

5/11/10, 9:22 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Those pizzas look so yummy! For some reason I'm hungry right now, but I shouldn't be!

5/11/10, 10:08 PM  
Anonymous Mayya @ Sew Chic and Unique said...

Gorgeous love the fabric and the end result!
Thanks for the tutorial!

5/12/10, 3:50 AM  
Blogger Amy K said...

Oh goodness - love, love, love it! Thanks for sharing your tutorial.

5/12/10, 4:33 AM  
Anonymous Lynn from For Love or Funny said...

This is a great idea! I never thought of using fabric to jazz up my switchplates!

5/12/10, 5:10 AM  
Blogger NorCalMom said...

What a great idea. I look forward to reading you posts and get inspired to try new things. This I think I can do.

I have a "Sweet Blog" award for you. Stop by when you get a chance.

5/12/10, 11:46 AM  
Anonymous Shelley said...

So Cute! I love it. Why didn't I think of that!? ;)

5/12/10, 1:09 PM  
Blogger Kristi~The Slipcover Girl said...

That is adorable! I can't stand how cute it is! Thanks!

5/12/10, 6:30 PM  
Blogger bridget {bake at 350} said...

I would NEVER have thought to do this! What a great idea!!!

5/13/10, 6:36 AM  
Blogger Tina @ www.commoncentshome.blogspot.com said...

I love this idea. I would have never thought of it. Thanks for sharing.

5/13/10, 5:17 PM  
Blogger Darla said...

How am I just NOW finding your blog. Sometimes my ignorance surprises even ME. Is this the switch plate that matches the rest of the items your (and I together in Facebook-land) bought at Kohls? Is there a picture of the bathroom complete? I need to search.

5/14/10, 6:15 PM  
Blogger Andi's English Attic said...

This is such an inspired idea. Thanks for showing us how. xx

5/15/10, 2:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

great idea! And those pizzas look so yummy! I just love your blog! Sending you the sunshine blog award. Pop over to www.lissyinitaly.blogspot.com if you are interested.
Melissa

5/15/10, 4:07 AM  
Blogger Bethany @ The Paper Pony said...

Love this idea. I was looking for a project like this to give a little kick to my boring places... Now I have the perfect excuse to buy some new fabric! Thank you!!

6/20/10, 1:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Of course I love this one!

6/25/10, 8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

If you have something to say.......Leave me a comment HERE!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home